An important part of volunteering for a sports team is continually looking for new ways to help the athletes at your organization grow. As a coach, you need to capitalize on any advantage (as long as it's within the rules) you can find that may help your players succeed.
But it’s not only about instructing players on new drills and strategies. You should also invest in sports team management software to facilitate the administrative aspects of running your organization.
What is sports team management software?
Sports team management software is essentially any digital service that helps keep volunteers and league operators organized. The features you'll need can be different depending on whether you run a large league with hundreds of teams, a regional or national tournament, a club with a handful of teams, or a just a single team.
An effective sports team management software should include features allowing volunteers to organize players, collect payments, publish schedules, help with fundraising, manage budgets, and communicate with teams and other community members. Overall, the system should just help your sports organization run more smoothly, and save time for your volunteers.
Sports team management software is designed with the understanding that starting a sports league is not easy. Features like online registration, payment processing, scheduling, and analytics tools help keep you organized, from sign-ups to your end of season banquet.
Best youth sports management apps for 2023
- Jersey Watch
- Team App
- Tourney Machine
- Sports Connect
- Wild Apricot
1. Jersey Watch
Jersey Watch is a popular sports team management tool because of the fast setup and easy-to-use features. You can create a website, register players, and send messages all within one system. Plus, you get plenty of powerful tools to help your organization grow.
First, you can setup a modern website that is responsive and easy to use. The online registration feature is built into the website and allows for easy sign-ups and player payments. A player's parent can view all the available programs their kids can join at once, fill out online forms, and complete payments online.
During the season, you can send messages via text and email to parents or coaches to keep everyone in the loop with important updates like scheduling changes, volunteer requirements, and anything else important to your organization.
The platform allows coaches to build and maintain up-to-date practice and game schedules for each team. Before your season, you can run background checks on coaches and volunteers to keep athletes safe during your season.
“Besides the software being extremely easy to use Jersey Watch's customer service is top notch! Our organization made the change last year and we continue to get such positive responses from parents/users on how easy the software on our site is to use and not to mention our site looks amazing.”
- Team Communication Tools: Keep team members, coaches, parents, and volunteers informed through email and text. Send bulk announcements to your entire organization, or contact individual teams or age divisions.
- Online Registration: Register players and manage payments faster than ever. Customize your registration forms to collect player information, like uniform size, age group, volunteer opportunities, and more.
- Payment Processing: Process registration fees, sponsor donations, and other payments in one place. Enable payment plans and sell items during registration quickly and easily.
- Scheduling Tools: Organize team schedules and events online. Easily change and edit events with a few clicks. Send automated updates to parents and players.
- Website Builder: Create your own sports website with no tech skills. In minutes, you can set up a mobile-friendly website for your organization. Check out the best sports website templates on our blog.
- Background Checks: Keep players safe with reliable background checks. You can start running background checks within 24 hours after signing up for Jersey.
- Fundraising Management: Get access to tools to manage and track the progress of fundraising campaigns.
- Highly-rated customer service.
- One stop shop for website, registration, payment collection, and background checks.
- Easily message groups or your entire organization via text or email.
- Excellent value for money.
- User-friendly and customizable.
Price: Get started free. Paid plans start at $29 per month when paid annually.
Amilia is an eCommerce and registration platform built for running recreational activities. The platform makes it easy for organizations to register participants and promote events and other activities.
Popular sports include cheerleading, dance, gymnastics, soccer, and skating programs. You can explore hundreds of available activities by searching the Amilia database.
- Integrated Online Store: Allows clubs and teams to sell their merchandise directly through the platform.
- Interactive Calendar: You can view team events, personal schedules, and important dates in one easy-to-access location.
- Smart Forms: Collect and organize all important player information without extra paperwork.
- Attendance Tracking: Allows coaches to monitor player attendance and track progress over time.
- Parent Portal: Parents can monitor their children’s activities, schedules, and progress.
- Player Assessment: Allows coaches to assess player performance, keep track of progress and share feedback with players and parents.
- Financial Management: Automated invoice creation, secure online payment handling, and robust financial reporting.
- Easy to use.
- Covers a wide range of needs.
- Integrations with email, calendars, and payment gateways.
- More expensive than other sports management apps.
- Does not provide a website.
Price: Starts at $99 per month.
3. Team App
Team App allows teams and other social groups to set up a mobile app to facilitate communication.
You can design your own app for your team, select colors, and invite other administrators. The app also allows you to track availability for events, post photos, link to scores & standings, and chat with other players on your team.
- Team Chat: Openly communicate with your team and parents through real-time updates and discussions.
- Event Management: It’s scheduling tool allows you to organize and track upcoming events, matches, and practices for your team.
- Member Database: Keeps track of all team members, volunteers, roles, and contact information.
- Live Score Updates: Keeps everyone updated on game progress in real time.
Document Sharing: Share necessary documents among team members, like game strategies, refund policies, rules, and sports waivers.
- Free app for iOS and Android.
- Ease of communication for individual teams
- Limited advanced features.
- Not meant for managing groups larger than a single team.
- Includes ads
4. Tourney Machine
Tourney Machine is a software system specifically built for running tournaments.
You can create tournament schedules automatically for pool play or brackets, update your schedules and game results online, and send tournament notifications to coaches or participants. All of the features are built to work well on mobile so that participants can track tournament results on the go or on-site at your event.
Tourney Machine also helps to promote your event online on tourneymachine.com. When coaches research events, they can sort by different categories, and register or pay for your event.
- Tournament Scheduling: Automatic and easy-to-use scheduling tool for games.
- Real-Time Score Tracking: Live updates of scores and match results.
- Bracket Generation: Automatic bracket generation and update based on match results.
- Team Messaging: Integrated messaging system for effective team communication.
- Mobile Application: A mobile app to access all the functionalities on the go.
- Custom Event Website: The ability to create a custom event website with all tournament details.
- Venue Details: Provides directions and details about the game venues to all participants.
- Manages all functions for running a tournament.
- Real-time scoring and bracket updates.
- Doesn't include a website.
- Limited flexibility - made for managing tournaments but not leagues or clubs.
- Potential costs can be high for some smaller tournaments.
Price: Email email@example.com
5. Sports Connect
Sports Connect offers a website platform built for community sports. The website features allow players and parents easy access to registration, scheduling, and reporting for the organization.
Sports Connect supports a wide variety of sports, including soccer, football, baseball, softball, and basketball.
- Multi-Sport Management: Manage teams across different sports on a single platform.
- Financial Tracking: Helps in tracking registration fees, donations, and other financials associated with team management.
- Detailed Reporting: Users can generate and customize detailed reports on team performance, attendance, etc.
- Volunteer Management: Provides functionality to manage volunteers, track their availability, and assign tasks effectively.
- League Management: Supports league creation and management, including team schedules, results, and player data.
- Customized reporting.
- All-in-one tool.
- No free trial.
- Only offered for certain sports.
Price: Request pricing information on sportsconnect.com
TeamSnap is a sports team management software that helps millions of people around the world manage gaming and scheduling information. Coaches rely on the platform for practice and match planning.
TeamSnap’s mobile app also ensures that parents, coaches, and players can always keep up with each other. You can manage player attendance, volunteer duties, and more using the TeamSnap mobile app.
- TeamSnap Live!: Share real-time updates of game events with those who can't be there physically.
- Availability Tracking: Allows players to indicate their availability for games and practices.
- Statistics Tracking: Record, store, and analyze player performance statistics.
- Payments: Collect and track team dues and other payments.
- Health Check: Track health conditions and symptoms of players for safe play.
- Roster Management: Manage your team's roster, with contact info, player profiles, and family information all in one place.
- Communication for teams, coaches, and parents.
- Most popular mobile app for youth sports management.
- Scheduling functionality.
- Integrations with calendar apps.
- Many features are only available on a premium plans.
- Can get expensive for organizations with more than one team.
- Some plans include ads.
- Not all plans include a website.
Price: Starts at $11.99 per month for single teams. Clubs and Leagues can request pricing on www.teamsnap.com
SportsEngine is a team management software for over one million teams around the world. It packs numerous functions, like scheduling, communication, and registration in one place. SportsEngine also has robust tools for keeping admins, athletes, coaches, and parents all on the same page.
- Mobile App: Lets users access their team platform from anywhere using their smartphones.
- Roster Management: Enables coaches to easily manage and update team rosters.
- Online Registration: Teams can set up online registration for events, tournaments, and seasons.
- Website Builder: Allows teams to create and customize their public-facing websites.
- Background Checks: SportsEngine provides background check capabilities for coaches and volunteers to ensure athlete safety.
- RSVP: Allows parents and athletes to confirm attendance at games and practices.
- All-in-one platform.
- Includes mobile-app for teams.
- Robust registration capabilities.
- Complex scheduling features.
- Can be expensive for smaller organizations.
- Steeper learning curve.
Price: Starts at $799 per year plus processing fees. Plans are $2,199 per year for more advanced features. Learn more on Sports Engine Solutions.
MonClubSportif allows volunteers to manage their teams from the platform on desktop or phone.
Tools like results tracking, scheduling, and availability management streamline league operations and allow all users—including schools, players, parents, and sports organizations—to keep up to date. You can also try the app and its features on a 30-day free trial.
- Attendance Alerts: Automatic alerts to players and parents regarding player availability for matches and practices.
- Financial Management: Offers tools to track team finances, dues, and player payments.
- Health Information Tracking: Allows the coach to record and monitor health-related information for each player.
- Player Evaluation: Built-in feature to evaluate player performances over time.
- Centralized Document Storage: Secure cloud storage of all relevant documents and forms.
- Statistics Tracking: Has detailed statistics tracking on both the team and individual player level.
- Complex league management tools.
- Multilingual interface.
- Free trial included.
- Does not include a website.
- Team based pricing.
- Can get expensive for organizations with more than one team.
Price: Starts at $6 per month per team.
9. Teamer by Pitchero
Teamer is a free sports club app to help manage your entire team. You can easily invite players to your platform, create event pages, and collect payments all from the app.
Availability and selection is also made easy. Players can just click on certain days they aren’t available, so coaches know not to schedule events on that day. All email and mobile notifications are free to send.
- Teamer Payments: Allows for easy handling of all team-related financial transactions.
- Availability Management: Helps manage the availability of each player for events.
- Chat Channels: Allows for streamlined communication within the team through dedicated chat channels.
- Automated Notifications: The app sends out notifications about upcoming events, changes, or announcements.
- Teamer News: Enables the sharing of news and updates related to the team.
- Polls and Voting: Ability to create polls and allow for group decision-making within the team.
- Built-in payment system.
- Free push notifications and email notifications from the mobile app.
- Easy event scheduling tools.
- Can be used for almost any sport.
- Higher transaction fees than most other platforms.
- Limited customization.
Price: Free. A fee of 4.4% + $.30 is charged per transaction.
10. Wild Apricot
Wild Apricot is one of the most popular membership management platforms. The platform offers a member database, online payments, event management, and contact database.
You can try Wild Apricot on a 30-day Free Trial on their website.
- Integrated Online Payments: Allows for easy collection and tracking of team dues and other payments.
- Member Database: Stores all relevant information about each team member, accessible in just a few clicks.
- Mobile App: Provides access to the platform anytime, anywhere, enhancing communication and coordination.
- Website Builder: Allows teams to create their own website using drag-and-drop tools.
- Email Marketing: Enables teams to send out newsletters, updates, and promotional emails to their members.
- Advanced Reporting: Offers insightful reports to track team performance and growth.
- Custom Forms and Surveys: Allows for the creation of custom forms and surveys for feedback, sign-ups, and more.
- Includes a website builder, payment management, and mobile app.
- Includes many integrations.
- Comprehensive member communication tools.
- High degree of customization.
- Pricing is a bit expensive for smaller teams or clubs.
- May have a larger learning curve than other simpler products.
Price: Group plans start at $75 per month.
How to choose the best app for next season
Volunteering to run a sports organization means taking on a lot of administrative work. Sports team management software helps to reduce the workload by automating or simplifying many of the administrative tasks and lightening a volunteer’s workload significantly.
During the offseason, you should find software solutions that fit the needs of your organization. There are lots of options available, so do some research and try a few different options before making a final decision. If customer service is important to you, interact with the customer service reps at the company before making a purchase.
Make sure not to lock yourself into long term contracts or high setup fees. Try to find a system that is easy to use so you don't overwhelm yourself with unnecessary or complex tools.
Best sports team management app FAQ
How do you manage a youth sports team?
To manage a youth sports team, you need to effectively communicate and build rapport with the players, their parents, and your coaching staff. Key components also include practice planning, skill development, and ensuring a safe, fun environment.
What is the best app for managing a youth sports team?
Jersey Watch is considered one of the best apps for managing a youth sports organization. It offers features like a website builder, messaging, online registration, and background checks, making it easier for coaches and parents to organize and communicate.